Thursday, May 03, 2018

Get Woke, Go Broke

I'm seeing a lot of things that tell me Dick's Sporting Goods is going all-in on gun control.
Dick’s Sporting Goods, which announced in February it would no longer sell rifles to anyone under the age of 21, hired three Beltway lobbyists to lobby Congress for gun control, according to federal records reviewed by The Federalist.
I'm seeing stuff like this all across conservative media, and my email inbox is lighting up from Chris Cox.  Evidently, Dicks is betting that it can piss off the 2nd Amendment crowd and stay in business.  I don't know what percentage of total revenue guns sales represent to Dick's, but I suppose their bean-counters know exactly how much they are set to lose.

It's one thing for a company to decide not to participate in a market segment.  Lots of places don't sell guns.  But to actively lobby against sportsmen can't be a good corporate strategy.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Sports Authority did this about 10 years ago or more, and they've been slowly sliding downhill until they went bankrupt in 2016. And they were bought out by... drumroll please... Dick's, who now, having seen what happens when a company pisses off the 2nd Amendment did to SA's bottom line, decided to follow the very management teams that led to SA sinking like the Titanic.

People with Masters Degrees in Business Management in control of a business are the indicators that said business is going to die.

Another indication? Company builds shiny new HQ building away from the manufacturing plant. Building "heralds new era" and within 2 years business is sunk.

Unknown said...

I participate in various outdoor sports hunting being one. I will be filling my sports related needs elsewhere. Money talks BS walks.