Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Speaking of Coffee

Weetabix says in comments:
I was just in NO for a few hours, but I couldn't get near Cafe du Monde.
Sorry about that.  You went to the tourist trap.  About six block upstream, at the Convention Center, there is another one, not the tourist trap.  It's right on the River Walk, and when you walk in, you might have two or three people in line ahead of you.  Order your coffee and beignets, and go sit on the pier and watch the river traffic.

But, the coffee I drink every morning, is Community Dark Roast.  It's the official coffee of the state of Louisiana, and it's been made since 1919, and accounts for half the coffee served in the state.  I picked up a couple of pounds today on my way home from work, because our coffee canister was getting low.


It's what I've brewed every morning since I can remember.  It's funny, but when I was in the Army during the late '70s and got leave to come home, we would drive all night so the baby would sleep.  When I crossed the Mississippi river at Vidalia, just at daybreak, I could smell Community coffee and I knew that I was home.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, GOOD coffee!!! I actually order mine now days. But I don't get any beignets... sigh

Goatwhiskers said...

Once in a while I get down Dad's old french pot, the kind where you dip boiling water and pour thru the strainer 'til the pot is full and make me a pot of real coffee. Brings back good memories. At least I don't have to use that nasty Morning Treat coffee,alias road tar. Do they even sell that stuff anymore?

JayNola said...

IvI' been enjoying the cafe special from community lately. It's got a yellow band on it. They sell it in the big bags at Sam's.
https://www.communitycoffee.com/products/coffee/32-oz-ground-cafe-special