Friday, April 20, 2018

Packing Old Skool

I talked about this pistol back in 2013, an old Colt 1911 I picked up in a pawn shop.  I shot it a few times, ran it through a USPSA match, and shortly after that, the Sheriff gave us Glocks to carry.

The 1911 was probably the very first pistol I ever shot, when we went to the range with a class of savetail lieutenants back in 1976.  I learned that I shoot the 1911 almost instinctively.  It just points well in my hand.  The grip angle is correct for me, and the sights align naturally out of the holster.

Here's a picture as it came  out of the pawn shop.


Yeah, it's chromed like a Chevy bumper, but it's still a Colt  It's marked US Army Property, and a search of the serial number at the Colt archives put the manufacture date in 1915.  It's over 100 years old.

The last time I shot it, it shot fine.  It's probably been through several depot rebuilds, and I have no preconception that it's original in any way.   But, it's mine, and it's cool.

Back to the Glock.  It's a good pistol, but it had no soul.  And, as much as I appreciate the ruggedness and utility, I just can't shoot the damned thing.  I know, a lot of people like them, and it could stand a sight upgrade, but I'm not going to spend any money on a pistol I don't like and have to give back to the Sheriff eventually.

And, last year I was diagnosed with macular degeneration, a disease of the retina that puts a blurry spot right where I look at sights on a pistol.  I can't see the sights on the Glock.  I can see the pistol, and the target, but the sights just don't exist.  It makes it hard for me to quality.  I barely qualified last year.

I have to re-qual in June, and I've been thinking about that, so tonight I decided to drag out the old Colt and play with it for a while.  Just Damn!  It's like handling an old friend.  And, surprisingly, I can see the sights on this chromed wonder.

My boy gave me a set of grips for it several years ago, and I really like the way they look.  And, I have several holsters that fit it.  Several Level II holsters suitable for duty work.


I'll have to get it out to the range and shoot it a bit, but I'll have it in a bag when I go to quals this year.  If the Glock gives me any trouble, I"ll drag out the old   I may bod up the Glock and give it back to the Sheriff.  The old Colt may not be the newest, greatest crunchenticker ever developed, but it's got a lot of history, and it still is able to serve admirably.

We'll see.

5 comments:

Goatwhiskers said...

I greatly prefer carrying mine in condition 1 as it appears you do. When I was working one of the young guys asked me ain't that dangerous? Told him I wouldn't carry the SOB if it wasn't dangerous. GW
\

Old NFO said...

Its old, fat, and slow, but it works! And has for over 100 years, as you said. Nice grips on it too!!!

Skip said...

Don't carry anything but my 1911. Needs a front sight that I can actually see though.

Sabre22 said...

I have been trying to figure that Out for a while now That why i nevercared for the glock you are right for me as weel i do not feeel a connection to it. Like i do the 1911. my first exerpice with it was about the same time as yours as a Mortar crewman. Recently I picked up my 10 MM 1911 and shot better with it after a couple of yrears layoff than I did with my HK USP. It just fits me like you as like an old firend

Jerry The Geek said...

My "ancient" 1911 was built in 1918, according to the serial number. I keep it around, but I don't shoot it much except once in a while I put it in my Pistol Caliber Carbine Conversion to shoot it like a rifle. I've since bought a Kimber (23ll, that was about 20 years ago) so now I just keep it for the historic connection.

I had intended to give it to my son "The Squid Kid", who is a Master at Arms and ought to appreciate it. But I like the damn gun, so he can just wait until I die and he can raid the gun safe for anything that pleases him.

If I gave it to him now, he'd probably just sell it. The way the gun-grabbers are making everything good "illegal", the only safe place for it is in my gun safe.