Thursday, March 15, 2018

On Being Armed

I've been carrying a firearm almost every day for the past 38 years.  Much of that as a cop, but even on weekends, holiday, and leave time.   Pretty much constantly, I'm armed.  And, I've learned a few things.  Concealed means concealed.  Proper dress is mandatory if you don't want to scare the citizens. 

School safety is the hot-button topic these days, and some have said that one way to help safety is to arm some of the teachers.  That's another hot-button topic, and I see that Baltimore teachers have threatened to walk out if any of them are armed.

My question is:  How would they know?  Really.  Concealed means concealed.  I have no doubt that I could dress in business casual attire, walk into any classroom in the US, and teach a class, spend the day in the school, talk with the principal and interact with everyone there, and no one would know that I am armed.  As long as I didn't have to pass through a metal detector, I'd be golden.

Concealed means concealed.  There is no profit in talking about it, touching it, letting other folks know you have it.  It's only use is to be there when you need it.    No one else needs to know about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silence is golden!

Dean said...

Exactly right. I have had long intense conversations with hoplophobes and the entire time they had no idea I had a pistol on me.