Friday, December 08, 2017

Rye? Why Not?

Casting about on the liquor aisle, I wanted something different, unlike my usual bottom-shelf gut-rot bourbon.  I'm a bourbon drinker and consider even the gut-rot to be better than most Canadian whiskeys.  I'm not a snob, but I know what I like.  I was looking for Buffalo Trace, which I've heard good things about, but the store didn't carry it.  Then, I spotted this.


Why the hell not?  Knob Creek makes good bourbon, so why not rye?  I bought the bottle and tok it home, and I'll get into it this weekend.  Maybe when the boys are over on Sunday. 

I divide my whiskey's into two major groups.  Those that get mixed with cola, and those that don't.  Knob Creek doesn't get mixed with anything.  It's just fine neat, and over ice.  I looked for reviews on this rye whiskey, and Men's Journal gives it high marks.  We'll see.

3 comments:

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Knob creek is a fine whiskey. And Rye lends itself well to mint Julips. I've used it myself on occasion.

Probably also be good with eggnog.

Dave said...

If your local legal intoxicant vendor carries them, you might also try Leadslingers bourbon, and Fighting Spirit rye whiskey from the same distillers.

Why? Because Leadslingers has an eagle with an M-4 on the label, and Fighting Spirit has some Marine on some Pacific island, that's why.

Oh, and they're both good, too.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Here's a review of Knob Creek Bourbon by Ralfy in 2010. He is on the Isle of Man, in a stone house. Notice you can see his breath as he talks, and it was just October. I will have to look at his website and see if he has done the Rye. Ralfy is always fun to watch, and I think he needs the antifreeze in his veins to live on the Isle of Man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Dt_wsv3sk