Monday, September 04, 2017

Spider Lilly

Several years ago I came into possession of some white Spider Lilly bulbs.    Red are very common, but the white is something kind of rare, so I planted them along the fence on the side yard.  And, occasionally, one of them blooms.


I always think that it's cooler-than-hell when spider lillys bloom.    You never see them come up, you just notice one day that they have bloomed.  I planted a half-dozen bulbs against that fence line, and spider lillys are noted for multiplying themselves.  I never know how many are going to come up, but occasionally I get a dozen or more blooms.  We'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

Judy said...

In Kansas, we call them Naked Ladies. In the spring the leaves come up looking like daffodil leaves. The leaves die back, then about the first week of August the flower stalks come up and you have blooms for about 2 weeks. I will have to remember the spider lily name.

Anonymous said...

And here in Nebraska we call them Surprise Lillies.

sv