Sunday, June 25, 2017

Memories

Surfing around YouTube today, waiting for Belle to get home, I stumble across this blast-from-the-past with images from my misspent youth.

No, I didn't make it to the unpleasantness in SE Asia.  I was training for it, and suddenly it was over, and I got out of the Air Cav and into Armored Cav and line Armor, as the Army shifted its focus from the jungles of Vietnam to the battleground of Europe and the Fulda Gap.

I've got the greatest respect in the wold for the soldiers today, but we had our fun too.  Almost no one in those days wore body armor.  The only folks I ever knew that actually had it were the Huey pilots, who sat on it.  The NVA had a Chi-com .51 caliber heavy machine gun (much like our beloved Ma-Deuce) and the chopper pilots were scared spitless of that gun.

But, anyway, a blast from the past from the Air Cavalry of my youth.



The music ain't bad either.

1 comment:

Dave said...

The film bits are from a show called Tour of Duty that aired in the mid- to late 80s. Was on at the same time and day as the Cosby show, different channel, IIRC.

Anyway, I always figured CCR to to the go-to group for Vietnam...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf_xZVhaAKs