Friday, February 24, 2017

Target Maintenance

I've been building targets lately, with a lot of assistance from my sons, who work metal as part of their trades.  In any industrial shop, there is welding and cutting, and they have the skills and tools to make pretty much anything that we need.

I'm trying to expand my backyard range to four lanes.  And, the CFDA is making a smaller target optional for sanctioned competition.  We can shoot the 24" disc at 21 feet, or we can shoot the 17-3/16 disk at 15 feet.    o, I wanted four each of the large and small discs.  Of course, these are wax bullet targets, so we don't need AR500 steel.  These are mild steel and will work fine for our purposes.


There's two each of the large disc and small disc, welded, threads chased, glass installed, and ready for paint.


Two of the small discs leaning against the fence after the furst coat of black paint.


Two of the large discs on the target stands after the second coat of paint.  That decorative iron behind the close target is being prepped as a free-standing bulletin board for use during Louisiana State Championship, scheduled for late April.

I have an errand to run, noon-ish, and Belle told me that I'm on the hook for boiled crawfish later today.  Luckily, I'm off today, the beginning of the Mardi Gras holiday.

Seveen weeks from today we kick off Louisiana State in Natchitoches, LA.  Y'all come.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Lookin' good there, sir! :-) Enjoy Mardi Gras too!

Retired Spook said...

Wish I could make it, it sounds like a great time will be had by all! Unfortunately, two Minions and I will be playing in the mud in Pulaski, TN that weekend, so we won't be able to make it. Give our regards to your lovely lady, and your Minion, as well. Hope you all have a great time!