Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Safety Pins

I understand that there is a thing going around, where people wear safety pins to show support for the vulnerable people in our society.
After the election of Donald J. Trump, fears are growing that segments of his base may physically or emotionally abuse minorities, immigrants, women and members of the L.G.B.T. community. As a show of support, groups of people across America are attaching safety pins to their lapels, shirts and dresses to signify that they are linked, willing to stand up for the vulnerable.


Nice gesture, but kind of silly.  You see, for the past three decades I've been wearing a safety pin ever working day to show support for the vulnerable.


I'm wondering if the left is trying to appropriate a portion of my culture?  I thought that cultural appropriation was a bad thing?  I guess it's nice that they're supporting the vulnerable.  Perhaps they should go down to the police academy and fill out an application.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe they should. I'm old enough to remember the saying "put up or shut up".
Thank you very much for the service you've given and continue to perform. It's a job that I freely admit I wouldn't want to do, and am probably not brave enough to do. I'm a vet, but I never had to wonder every time I walked up to a vehicle whether the occupants would end my life, or instead pass the time relatively pleasantly.
--Tennessee Budd

Jerry The Geek said...

I'm with you, Budd. I was an infantry platoon sergeant in Vietnam (1969-1970) and I could HANDLE it that anyone I met in the bush who was short and had an AK47 was somebody I should shoot first.

But trying to be a cop in America, where cops are just as much a target now as I was then, except that you never know who the Bad Guys are? Oh no, I'm not brave enough to handle that.

My son is a Master At Arms in the Navy. He does the jobs that I couldn't do. He has received sniper training, defensive driving and other training that make him look like a policeman in civilian life, but in a more aggressive job description.

He is one of the First Responders, for example, in the event that a terrorist attack occurs in a military base.

When he was growing up, I prayed he would never be a cop or in the military. He chose to be both. I'm very proud of him; a son should always be a better man than his father.