Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Comey's Self-Flagellation

Prior to 10:00 am yesterday, I had a great deal of respect for FBI Director James Comey.  His reputation was excellent, he had been a prosecutor and a lawman, and was appointed by President Obama to fill a 10-year non-repeating term as the Director.  By all accounts, he was a straight-shooter, and with what little I knew about the case, my time in the Army working with classified information, and his reputation as as a non-partisan, I thought that any reasonable review of the evidence would show that Hillary Clinton violated all or part of 18USC793, which deals with how we gather, transmit or handle classified information.

Indeed, by the middle of his conference, I felt that he was laying out the case, how they had found classified information on her personal email chains, how that information was classified at the time it was sent or received, how any reasonable person should know that the information was classified, and how in more than several cases, the classification header was attached to the document.

I was stunned when he made the recommendation that no charges would be filed.  After laying out the case in excruciating detail, he couldn't find the courage to charge her?  That's incredible.

But, I was flabbergasted with his closing.  Let's go to the transcript, shall we, so that I can be precise.
To be clear, this is not to suggest that in similar circumstances, a person who engaged in this activity would face no consequences.
Really, Jim?  If somebody else does it, they'll face consequences?  You gave Hillary a walk after laying out a clear and convincing case.

James Comey has disgraced the badge and his office.  Before yesterday I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  Now I hold him in utter contempt.  He has upheld the notion that the law is arbitrary and capricious, and that the high-and-mighty are not to be held accountable in the criminal courts.

In short, he was telling us that if we want to defeat Hillary, we'll have to do it at the polls, because the law will shield her.  She is above the law.

If I ever have the opportunity, I'll spit on Comey's shoes.

2 comments:

Judy said...

I agree with you up to a point. Yes, I'm disgusted, but what's going on in the background that we don't know about. Was he or one of his loved ones about to be Vince Fostered? Or do they have something on him like they had on General Petraeus?

Anonymous said...

Yep, I've been so angered that now I have a migraine. All that pent up distress is bad for the ol' gray matter.
I normally don't swear but WTF?!?!?! As you said, he laid out the whole case; and he STILL COULDN'T pull the trigger!!!!! Ya, "they" may have something on him, but WOW!!! it's so blatant and out there for all to see. I wonder if the demoncrats are going to be able to talk this one away.
Steve