Sunday, June 05, 2016

Trailer Update

We took another step on the Town Folk Alley trailer this week.  This is going to be a portable range for wax bullet work, to introduce people to the sport.  The key is portable, easy set-up, and easy tear down.  Several clubs have these trailers across the country, and while some of them are able to dedicate a trailer to the activity, our club is small and broke at this time.

So, we're making do.  Last week I went and bought some 1" Schedule 40 PVC pipe and today my son and I started playing with it.  I had also bought some Harbor Freight drop cloths last week, and while they're really nice unbleached fabric, they're simply not big enough.  To cut the PVC to the length necessary to use the drop cloths, simply doesn't leave enough circumference on the curve.

So, after cutting the PVC pipe to a pleasing length that gives ample space for shooting (16 feet), I remembered a tarp that I had bought for another project.  It's 15'2" X 19'6", and I also found it at Harbor Freight.  It's big enough and will certainly keep a wax bullet from getting out.


It looks more like a greenhouse than a Conestoga trailer, but it will suffice for the purpose.  The silver fabric gives enough light in the trailer that we're able to see easily.


I've got some tweaking to do and some more material to buy, but I think that this tarp will work fine. Remember, it's not going down te road with the tarp installed, it will be installed once we get to the shooting site.  I need to go pick up some ball stretch cords and see how many bungee cords I have on hand, but this thing is going to work fine.

I still have wings to build and targets to make, but we've turned the corner on this trailer and I can see the project reaching completion.  This is goin to be fun.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Yep, I think you're right, it's coming together, and well!