Sunday, May 15, 2016

Finis!

Last month, I commissioned a rig for my long gun.  My long gun is an old Ruger Vaquero with a very low serial number.  My son is a budding leatherworker, and expressed an interest in doing the work, so I sent my Ruger Super Blackhawk home with him to use as a pattern.

Ruger aficionados know that the original Vaquero was built on the Blackhawk sized frame and was dimensionally larger than the Colt Peacemaker.  Indeed, a comparison between my Super Blackhawk and the Vaquero showed very little dimension differences.  Tiny, in fact, and because he would probably wet mold the leather, I didn't want my Vaquero to be wet.  The Super Blackhawk is stainless and moisture won't hurt it.

He asked a bevy of questions and I answered all of them.  I didn't want black leather because I've worn black leather as a cop for over 30 years.  I'm tired of black.  Other than that, I've given him free rein.

He posted on his blog yesterday that it is done.  He is including a knife that he forged himself several years ago, and the knife is one that is period correct over several centuries.  I'll let him tell you about that.
The knife is one I forged from a lawnmower blade in 2009. It's a "boucheron", which is French for "butcher knife". They were very popular amongst the French in the 1700s, but the design is one that looks as if it could have been crafted by any Louisiana boy who knew his way around a forge from the 1700s up to today. Probably because it was! Lol. Actually I can't take all the credit for the forging. My blacksmithing Mentor, a French-Canadian named Marquito walked me through the whole process, and actually did most of the rough forging.
He put the family brand on the handle of the knife, a good touch that identifies the knife as family property.  My Dad and I designed that brad when we were in the cattle business, and we've since adopted it for general family use.  If you see that brand on anything, it belongs to my clan.  Click on the picture below for detail.  Really, there are little things there that this small format doesn't reveal.


I am stoked.  A new gunbelt, a hand-forged knife, a holster with border stamping, and leather cuffs to match.  I am pleased beyond words. 

He's coming up in two weeks, and I'll take possession.  Then, the training begins in earnest.  I've got to learn how to shoot this rig. 

Thanks, son.

3 comments:

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

You're very much welcome!

Anonymous said...

Just for your viewing pleasure, some eye candy: http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
Steve

Anonymous said...

Bloody lovely. If I had the scratch I'd commission a belt, 1911 holster, and send him a custom made knife to have a fitted sheath made. Impressive work by your son! As an aside I read his blog as well.

-Jeremy