Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Two Signs

Two signs that are legendary in my home town, both from the same store.  I was driving down Lee Street today and noticed that the signs are still up.  The store itself closed several years ago, moved to another location, but these signs were iconic for most of my life.  Residents here will immediately recognize them.


The sign at Hokus Pokus Liquors.  Full neon, the wings of the ghost would flap when it was lit up.  Really a pretty sign and it was a landmark of Lee St for years.  It still is, I guess.

Business was so brisk and the on-street parking so crowded that they purchased a lot across the street for parking.

This sign wasn't neon, but everyone knew where the Beer Crossing was.  And, believe me, a lot of beer and hard liquor cross the street under that sign.

I keep thinking someone is going to take those signs down.  Maybe the owners, but it was a nostalgic trip back in time when I realized that they are still where they've been all these years.

5 comments:

Peter said...

I remember them well, and the shop too - I patronized it during the early 2000's from time to time.

be603 said...

We've got Hiram's Guns and Nick's Liquor here. Same building. One sign right atop the other.

Liquor and Guns. One stop shopping. Wha'd a country!

Old NFO said...

Alexandria???

Pawpaw said...

Yeah, Jim. Alexandria.

Old NFO said...

I thought so... Apparently I still have a 'few' brain cells alive...