Sunday, November 01, 2015

Mulligan Stew

Probably the first recipe I ever learned was Mulligan Stew, a staple of old Troop 11 when it was scout-mastered by my Uncle Eddie, with my Dad and their cousin Reggie.  It's a simple stew that even a boy can make, and it's easily done over a campfire.  I taught it to all my boys when I was a Scoutmaster of Troop 60.

Or, of course it can be cooked on your home stove.  One of the kids was asking when I was going to cook another Mulligan, and today seems as good a time as any.

It's a great camp food because it requires very few ingredients, and they don't require much refrigeration.  If you're not worried about camp scavengers (bears, dogs, coyotes), you can leave bacon out on the camp table for several days.  It's a cured meat and really doesn't require much refrigeration, especially if you're camping in cool temps.  Plus, bacon carries it's own grease, and really, who doesn't like bacon?  This is a bacon stew.

Be advised.  There is nothing about this stew that is low-cal, vegetarian, vegan, or heart-healthy.  This is bacon, taters, gravy.  It's stick-to-your-ribs, keep you warm, feel-good food.

Mulligan Stew.


Ingrredients:

Bacon
Flour
Potatoes
Salt, pepper.
Water

Prep.

Peel and dice several large potatoes.  I normally just go ahead and peel a 5 lb bag.
Cook some bacon.  Normally one pack.  Drain and crumble, but save the bacon grease.
In a large pot, make a roux.
Add water to make a gravy.  Add your potatoes, and add water as necessary to cover the potatoes.
Add your crumbled bacon.
Simmer until the potatoes are tender.

Serve over rice, or stale bread.  Some like rice, but my eldest son swears by stale bread.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Over rice... :-) Brings back memories of Scouting, no question!