Sunday, May 17, 2015

Wax Bullet Seater

Fred asks, in comments:
Question--Do you have a "speed loader" of some type to load wax bullet s?Between you nd my barber I became interested and bought wax and brass. Now my fingers are sore from loading for my grandchildren. Great fun.Fred
As it turns out, Fred, I do.  It's built from a Y-Tex Plus Ear Tag Applicator I picked up at Tractor Supply.  I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't.  I understand that it came from a bunch of shooters in East Texas, the Big Thicket Bushwackers, who were looking for a way to quickly seat wax bullets. When you buy the thing from the vendor, you'll notice that it has a little clip that holds the ear tag.  Pop that off.  Then you'll have to get out your Dremel tool and hog-out an area that will accommodate a standard shell holder.

Cut a little, fit a little, cut a little more.  Use the pin that cowboys normally use to insert the ear tag into the cows ear, use that pin to center the shell holder under the ram.

Use that pin to make sure that the shell holder is centered, then epoxy that shell holder into the lower arm of the ear tag applicator.

That applicator pin simply unscrews from the ram.  What you're left with is a shell holder centerd under the ram.  Put an empty brass in the shell holder, start a wax bullet, then squeeze the handle.  That ram will seat the bullet "As Slick As A Gut".  Again,simply unscrew that pin so that you can use the full diameter ram for seating bullets.

The Y-Tex applicator costs about $20.00 at any Tractor Supply.  The shell holder is about $5.00, give or take.  You may have an extra shell holder laying around.

I wish I could take credit for this easy modification, but I'm told the idea came out of east Texas.  If anyone else has any better information, I'll be happy to give credit.

No comments: