Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Geese Overhead

Standing at my duty post, the air crisp and clean from the cold front that's passing through, I heard geese and watched a flight of small geese (blues and snows) flying down the river.  Classic chevron pattern.  As usual one side of the Vee was longer than the other one, and I thought about that for a minute and decided that I might pass on the knowledge of why geese fly like that.

Do you know why one side of the Vee is always longer than the other side?


There are more birds on that side.

You're welcome.

4 comments:

Goatwhiskers said...

Of course the V is for aerodynamic efficiency. There is no efficiency attached to which arm of the V is longer, therefore there is no natural selection as to length, the arms of the V may be even or uneven. On the other hand my grandfather told me there's more geese in the longer side. GW

Old NFO said...

Heh... Normally the leader swaps out and goes to the end of the line... Less aero work required if he's following the others (they serve as a windbreak)...

jon spencer said...

A buddy of mine told that story and question to me in the early 70's, it still brings a smile.

I did bite and ask why.

zdogk9 said...

If there's a cross wind the longer arm will be on the downwind. easier for the leader to fall back that way.