Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Mess of Bream

Looking at my daughter-in-law's blog site, I see that my grandson (one of several) has learned to fish for bream.  They're living on family land, and fishing a pond that my father built.  Evidently, it's full of fish and the other grandad taught him how to fish for the tasty little fish.

That's a pretty good stringer of fish for the first time out.  Hopefully, he took good notes because it's a skill set that will keep him occupied for a long time, probably the rest of his life.

Up the little hill, in the barn behind the young'un is my father's shop.  My son has been working in there, blending his knowledge of old time woodworking and my Dad's tools to craft a piece of furniture for his family.

It's good to see a kid fishing the pond, and a family member using the shop.  I am glad that piece of land is continuing to educate and shelter our family.  The circle continues.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

We are grateful too, PawPaw.

Gerry N. said...

When I was six we lived in an Army installation in far SW So.Dak. The Army dammed a little creek to irrigate the garden plots provided to thw civilian employees. It made a small lake of about three acres. As the creek had some native fish in it the lake started putting out some eatable size blue gills and bullheads along with the odd smallmouth bass. The school there gave any student with a perfect attendance record two days off at the start of fishing season along with a cheap cane pole and fishing kit. I still have my pole. I had my first fishing experience in that little lake catching bluegills. My Dad showed me how to find worms and rig 'em on the hook. My Mom loved fish and free fish tickled her half to death. She'd even clean 'em and taught me how so I could help. I don't remember anything that was as much fun as catching a 10 quart bucket of 6" bluegills and then eating 'em. Mom showed us kids where the zipper is on a bluegill so we never had a problem with bones. Same with crappies. Here in WA crappies are an introduced species. The Seattle area has some small lakes that are up to their necks in crappies that die of old age. It is my intent to put a stop to that foolishness.

Gerry N.