Saturday, September 07, 2013

New Reloader

Just got a text from my second son.
Just shot my first ten 9mm reloads.  They shot fine.
Hooray!  Another hand loader is born.  It's a long and winding road, and a very pleasurable journey, but like any journey, it has its potholes, its switchbacks, and its dead-ends.  Not every road pans out, not every handload works well.  Keep good notes, learn from your experiences.

Oh, and if you have any questions, ask your old man.  I've probably made the same mistakes myself.

3 comments:

Gerry N. said...

I started when I was 17, all by my lonesom with the Speer reloading manual and a stack of gun magazines with handloading articles in 'em. I'm 69 now, own just about every handloading gewgaw imaginable, and I'm still learning.

Gerry N.

Matt said...

Yeah, I had a problem right out of the gate. For 125 grain cast bullits my second edition lee reloading manual did not list a load for unique powder. So I searched the web and got together with lil brother and we came up with 4.7 grains of unique. The load shot well, was accurate, and cycled the action well. No signs of over pressure. Oh and pawpaw, thankks for help with my setup, extra goodies, and the wealth of knowledge you give freely!

Pawpaw said...

Alliant says that the max load for a 125 grain bullet is 5.8 grains of Unique, but the Alliant website sucks. You've got to know how to go in the back door to get the data you need. Ask me the next time you're here and I'll show you how.