Tuesday, August 20, 2013

9mm Dies

Since the Newtown shooting, reloading supplies have been scarce.  We're starting to see powder, bullets, and primers in small quantities, but we haven't seen 9mm dies in months.  Even .22LR ammo is beginning to show up on the shelves in limited quantities, but 9mm dies are as scarce as hen's teeth.

A good set of dies is a lifetime investment.  I've got dies that I've had for over 20 years with nary an indication that they're going to wear out.  I don't shoot 9mm, don't own a 9mm, but two of my sons do and they're brand-new reloaders, getting their gear together.  One in particular likes shooting USPSA which runs through ammo pretty quickly.

So, a couple of months ago, I told Midway USA that when they had some Lee carbide die sets in stock, to email me.  They emailed me today and I ordered two sets so that the boys can reload their own ammo.  They should be in later this week, and the boys can start the journey of learning to hand-roll their own ammunition.  They've been watching me for two decades but it's different when you're pulling the lever all by yourself.

No comments: