Monday, December 24, 2012

The Conversation Continues - Secondary Markets

Cory Booker is the mayor of Newark, NJ and was on ABC News recently. During the interview they talked about guns in the city, and Mayor Booker had this to say.
In all of the shootings in his city, Booker says, only one was perpetrated by “a law-abiding citizen who is mentally stable and who bought a gun.” “I’m not afraid of law abiding citizens who buy a gun,”
He goes on to elaborate on the argument, talking about secondary markets for guns in his city.
“I’m not afraid of law-abiding citizens who buy a gun,” he said. “Buy the guns you want. What the problem is in America right now is that a terrorist person who is on the no-fly list could go into the secondary market today and buy a weapon.”
As they say, go read the whole thing, but Mayor Booker is talking about people owning guns who shouldn't own guns. The only problem I'm going to have with this argument is that any regulation must be crafted very carefully so as not to turn law-abiding citizens into criminals. For example, I routinely gift firearms to my children and grandchildren. That's an American tradition as old as our nation. Each of my sons has a firearm that was owned by their grandfather, a working heirloom, a link to their grandfather.

I'm not saying that I agree with Mayor Booker, but his argument is one that's being heard.  I agree that some folks shouldn't have guns, and we've got to come up with solutions that support the Second Amendment while keeping guns from prohibited persons.  Of course, it doesn't help at all that our own government is guilty of running guns in the secondary markets.  I don't know that anyone has been prosecuted for the government's involvement in that debacle, but it smacks of hypocrisy for the Justice Department to prosecute folks for doing things that government agents have done.

The law must cover all, equally.

No comments: