Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Independence Day

My calendar tells me that it's July 4th and my internets tell me that I should be celebrating.  The dog and I did go outside at daybreak and stand reveille, raising the flag in front of the house, but frankly, I'm not into the whole hamburger/hot dogs/fireworks thing today.

Milady went to Florida last week on a mission of mercy.  A family member had a stroke and we put her on a plane to do what she does best; minister to the sick.  The dog and I have been holding the fort, keeping the lamps burning, and frankly we're a bit adrift.   The dog is looking for Milady, he spends time where she normally frequents and comes to me wondering.  I've told him a dozen times that she ain't here, but I don't think he gets it.  Thankfully, we pick her up this afternoon.  She's coming home today and that's a cause to celebrate, although she'll likely be jet-lagged and fatigued from the journey. 

The family member is doing better, thanks, and seems to be "out of the woods".  Rehab continues apace.  We're praying for the best and expecting miracles.

I don't have any formal celebration planned except to be at the airport before she goes wheels-down.  Still, if our independence means anything, then I'm free to sloth.

Happy Fourth, everyone.  Take a  break today, have a little fun, and we'll get back to work tomorrow.

1 comment:

Gerry N. said...

I went to bed at 1:30ish last nite, and noticeds that at about 1:45ish all the explosions just stopped. Flat. I thought about it a minute then remembered, the 5th is a work day. I was a little disappointed, I enjoy the celebrations and blowing things up. Always have.