Saturday, April 21, 2012

Shooting with Misty

My daughter-in-law, Misty, said that she'd like to try a little rifle shooting, so we went this morning to let her explore shoulder-fired weapons.  She likes her pistols, but she wanted to try other types.

We began with rimfire, which is a good place to start new rifle shooters.  She's no stranger to recoil, but I believe that the lack of recoil surprised her.  Below, she's shooting her husband's Henry lever rifle.

Next, we moved up the chain to the centerfire calibers.  I happen to have a Handi-Rifle Ultra in .223, which is a good place to start.

Then, when she was comfortable with that level of recoil, we moved up to the Savage bolt in .243.  She was able to easily ring the 100 yard gong with that rifle.

After that, she wanted to do a little pistol work, so we brought the target in and let her work with her pistols.  I didn't take many pictures of her pistol work, but I did drag out the Super Blackhawk and ask her if she'd like to try it.  I loaded it with some .44 Special, Skeeter loads, and let her have a whirl.  I apologize for this photo being a little blurred, but I caught her in recoil.

She later told me that the Blackhawk was her favorite shot of the day.  She finished the cylinder and claimed to have enjoyed it.  I know that I enjoyed it.  All of it.  It's really fun to shoot with family on a Saturday morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great smile on the Blackhawk shot!

-- ARRognlie