Monday, November 28, 2011

Leak

I drive a 2001 Ford F150 King Cab, and I've had great service from that pickup truck. Last week two of the kids and I were heading to town in a blinding rain and the kid in the back seat remonstrated that water was leaking down the back of his neck. "Oh, really? Well, move to the other side of the truck." He moved to the other side of the truck. "It's leaking here too." So, he sat in the center seat.

Sure enough, I had a leak somewhere around my back glass. I took it to a buddy this afternoon, a buddy what runs a glass shop. We looked for the leak. Turns out, the back glass on that truck is bolted in and the bolts were loose. Damned glass was about to fall out. We tightened everything, still leaking. Well, hell. He got out some heavy-duty, by-Gawd sealer and did his glass-specialty thing on it. Told me to watch it for a few days. It oughta be fine, but if it leaks, bring it back. No charge.

I had left a deer rifle in its case on the back seat. Soaked. I took the rifle out, and it's okay. A spritzing with oil, a good wipe down, and the rifle case is in the dryer.

Louisiana has been in a drought, and I don't know if we've gotten enough rain in the past year to tell if I had a leak. I'm glad I found it before I ruined a rifle.

4 comments:

g said...

About twenty years ago I bought a M94 Winchester that had been left leaning against a tree in a hunting camp for a year. I learned a lot disassembling that rifle and wire brushing the rust off. The receiver and barrel were pitted on the outside, but the inner workings were pretty much free of rust as they were heavily coated with some kind of thick grease, not unlike lubriplate. The bore as well. I carried and shot it for several years before giving it to a nephew. He's still got it and uses it each hunting season. Not bad for a $25 rifle. It was one of the rifles Winchester made with a cast receiver and which is nearly impossible to blue. So Josh put a home parkerizing job on it which looks OK. Its amazing what a guy can salvage sometimes. The kid is not much of a "gun guy" but he likes to hunt.

Gerry

Rivrdog said...

Wrong. The two kids in the back seat found the leak, and thereby saved your rifle. You owe them for that.

Old NFO said...

Riverdog does have a point :-) but I'm sure they have been justly compensated :-)

Daddy Hawk said...

Found my way to you via Stephen at Standing Outside Looking In. I had the same problem with my F150 which was a 97 or 98 XLT extended cab model. I think Ford was trying to be innovative and wound up creating a mess.