Saturday, June 04, 2011

Fried Corn on the Cob

Several years ago, Milady and I were at a restaurant and they brought us an appetizer, fried corn on the cob. Interesting. We enjoyed it and forgot about it.

Fast forward to two days ago. I had a bag of corn on the cob, and I boiled it as a side dish, then started thinking about that fried corn on the cob. I knew that eventually I'd be frying fish in the backyard and thought that fried corn might be an interesting compliment to the meal, so I started casting about for a recipe.

As it turns out, it's a fairly easy recipe. Click on the link for the original recipe I found. First, you mix a stiff cornbread batter then coat your corn in that batter. Then you roll the battered corn in seasoned flour to make a crust. Fry for about three minutes. Easy-peasy if you're a seasoned backyard fish cook.

We had people over for a fish fry last night and I trotted out my recipe. I stuck skewers in the cob to make the corn easier to handle. Fried them with the skewers stuck in the cobs.

I fried a dozen ears. That one is the sole survivor. The corn comes out with a hard crust on it, but when you bite through the crust, the corn is moist and juicy and falls off the cob into your mouth. You have to try this recipe.

1 comment:

Titan MK6B said...

I have a friend who has corn dog trailers and does several fairs every year. I think he might like to try this one.