Friday, June 17, 2011

Final Quals

I went to the range this morning for an optional qualification. We're only required to qualify with the duty pistol and the shotgun, but I wanted to qualify with my Model 60 and my rifle. We went to the rifle range first.

My carbine is a bone stock Bushmaster XM15-E2S. Basically, a 16" heavy barrel carbine with no extras. Not even a scope. It's basically the same rifle I used in the Army for about 25 years. One of these days I'd like to get a better trigger for it, because it's got a gritty trigger, but I've been shooting rifles like this all my adult life. I cleaned the course with it. No problem

There were three other guys on the line with their heavily modified, short barreled tactical carbines. They all scored under me. The old guy with the stock rifle ruled the firing line. There's a lesson there for the younger guys. Don't get cocky. That old guy with the iron-sighted rifle might show you a thing or two.

After that was done, we walked over to the pistol lanes to qualify with our backup pistols. I shot my Model 60 and dropped several rounds low. Still qualified easily and if those shots had been on a goblin, he'd be wandering around with a bad lower GI tract. We'd probably find him at the emergency room. They just weren't good solid center-mass shots.

Now it's time to take a break for a couple of days, catch up with the grass cutting and load some more ammo. Late next week I'll start re-learning the trigger on that M&P 45.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Why does the phrase "Beware the old man with one gun" come to mind :-)

Gerry N. said...

I'm an old fart with a crapper load of guns. My favorite range rifle is my M38 Swedish Short Rifle in 6.5x55 mm. Nearly every time I go to the range, I'm surrounded by black rifles and camo. All do fairly well from the bench, but after a little talking we shoot standing up and I win nearly every time. Nothing beats shooting a rifle you like and are familiar with. I know where the bullet's gonna go and the rifle likes me as much as I like it.

Rivrdog said...

I was on the Tactical Weapons Squad at my SO for a short while. It was a short time, because as a newbie, they issued me a beater old rifle, a dope seizure gun, and after I zeroed it, I found I could still hit well at 100 meters, so I challenged the more senior members to a match, and cleaned their clocks, despite the fact that they had optics and all I had was irons.

They pissed and moaned to the crooked Sgt who ran the squad (later fired for Official Misconduct), and so they took away my rifle, gave me back my deer-barrel shotgun, and booted me off the squad.

I didn't miss it, and the fact that several members had serious ethical issues later made me glad I was removed from the outfit.

Not to mention the fact that they we all a bunch of "Tacky Tommies" that were hard to get along with....

Jester said...

I find that I am the same way. I have one tricked out AR 15 for 'yoties and the other is an iron sighted 16 inch barreled AR. I never have had problems shooting it. Even in the Army, I shot better, typically with the iron sights than most fellows did with the CCO's (red dot sights) While I may put some optic on this AR 15 (Most likely a Eotech due to the low profile of it) I do not find the urge to put an ACOG that costs as much as the rifle does.