Saturday, December 11, 2010

Odd Price Point

Reading Say Uncle again, we come to a website that talks about entry-level bolt action rifles. The article set the price point at under $370.00, which is odd, but illustrative of how inexpensively the novice can purchase a new-in-box hunting rifle these days.

Frequent readers will know that I'm a big fan of Savage rifles, and true to form, the article lists the Savage Axis as the best entry level hunting rifle. My family has four Savage rifles in the battery. Two heavy barrel rifles and two sporter weight. They all turn in MOA accuracy with good ammunition.

My son and I were talking the other night about the quest for accuracy. We're not benchrest shooters, but we appreciate an accurate rifle, and we understand that what we consider accurate a dedicated target shooter might consider lousy accuracy. Still, the vital area of a whitetail deer will be about 9" in diameter and that is what most riflemen aspire to hit. Entry level rifles are certainly capable of this level of accuracy. Many of them are much better.

Rifles are getting better, and less expensive. I admit that I haven't handled the Marlin, Remington, or Mossberg entry rifles, but when they start showing up in the pawn shop racks, I may be sorely tempted. I've got a lot of grandsons that are going to need rifles and some of these are keepers.

No comments: