Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tripod

If you do much backyard cooking or campfire cooking, you soon learn that a tripod is a good way to suspend a pot at just the right level above the fire.

However, going to the store and buying a tripod is not the easiest thing to do. I've made lots of serviceable cooking tripods out of saplings in the forest. It doesn't take but a few minutes to axe a few saplings, trim them down and make a good tripod.

However, some of us like something a little more permanent. Readers might remember last February when a snowfall collapsed my back yard gazebo. When I took it apart I realized that there was a lot of usable metal in the form of square tubing that hadn't been destroyed, so I put it back for just a project as this.

Yesterday my son helped me by applying his expertise to the metal. Now, I've got a lightweight, take-down tripod that should be able to handle nearly any pot I put on it.



It stands about four feet tall and is very lightweight. I'd estimate that the whole thing doesn't weigh three pounds. The legs snap into the top-piece and the hook is big enough that I can hang a stirring-spoon along with the chain.



That's good work on the top-assembly. Of course, they reflect Henry Ford in their shop. A customer can get any color they'd like, as long as it's black.

I donated the rest of the usable metal to his shop stock-pile. I'm sure they'll put the decorative panels to good use.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Give us a report and a recipe when you use it for the first time!