Saturday, May 22, 2010

I was taking photos today for an article on Castbullet and had all my Handi-rifles out for the project.

These little rifles are addictive, to the point where I have four rifles and a shotgun, all based on the same action. The little action is very simple and that appeals to me in a big way. To my way of thinking, they're great rifles for beginning shooters, and very adequate for most hunting tasks.



From left to right, they are:
.410 Partner shotgun
.45-70 Handi Rifle with WGRS peep sight
.30-30 Handi Rifle with old Tasco 3X9 scope
.308 Ultra Hunter with 3X9 Simmons scope
.223 Ultra Hunter with 6X18 Swift Premium scope

I've hunted with the .45-70. I use it during our states Primitive Firearm deer season. The .308 and .30-30 will eventually become grandkid rifles.

If the idea of a single-shot rifle appeals to you, it's hard to beat one of these little rifles. Lots of folks say that the .30-30 is a very accurate caliber in the Handi platform, although I haven't found yet a load that shoots as accurately as I like. I hope to do some more shooting with it next week. The .223 is so new I haven't even sighted the scope yet, but I'll take it out when I take the .30-30.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Nice set :-)

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

think you got a powerful enough scope on that .223? ;)

Pawpaw said...

Enough scope on that .223? I'm going to wring it out and more Xs really define the target. Not sure yet what I'm going to do with the scope or the rifle, but there it is. That scope will probably end up on something else.

Rivrdog said...

Do they make that .308 rifle with a heavier target barrel of target length?