Sunday, April 11, 2010

At the Auction

Milady and I attend an auction nearly every Saturday in Pineville, LA. It's a little auction, but you never know what might turn up. Yesterday I had to work, so Milady attended alone. She came home with what appears to be an antique hall tree. Of course, you can click on the photos for larger images.



Of particular interest is a letter found in the glove box. It's from Austen Albu, M.P., in London dated June, 1956, inviting "Charlesby" to a meeting of the Politechnic Club in Room B, at the House of Commons.



An altogether fascinating bit of history. Other letters found indicated that the hall tree might have been the property of a Dr. A. Charlesby who was a scientist in London. He published scientific papers in the mid 20th century.

The hall tree itself is made from oak, stands 6 feet tall and is pegged together with numerous miter joints. It's a marvelous piece of furniture and it makes me wonder how a hall tree from London came to be at a small country auction in Pineville, LA.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

I dunno, but I wouldn't be complaining :-) Looks like a NICE addition to the hall!

Melissa said...

that is so cool! Tell Ms. Jane I applaud her purchase. Let me know if you all find out anything else.