Thursday, February 18, 2010

Taco Soup

Taco Soup is a dump and go recipe that's a quick hit with the grandkids. There's nothing to it.



Taco Soup

1 lb hamburger
1 lb bulk sausage
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can original Rotel
1 small can chopped green chilis
2 cans whole kernel corn
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans red kidney beans
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet dry ranch dressing mix.

Brown your meat. Drain it. Dump all the other ingredients on the meat and heat it. We normally let it simmer for a half hour or so.

Serve over corn chips. Garnish with shredded cheese.

4 comments:

Rivrdog said...

Yep, the gudwife has a very similar recipe.

For large backyard soirees (I guess you are known for those), try the Tijuana Train Wreck. It's basically the same thing, only you make it dry and serve it over salad greens, which are served over taco chips.

Anonymous said...

Arrighty then, I made this recipe for supper last night, (Feb.18,10). Since there are only two of us, and the missus can't tolerate spicy foods, I cut the recipe in half, and omitted the canned chilis and used only a third of a tin of Rotel. It was still superb. I spiced mine up with a few splashes of Sriricha sauce (About three times hotter than Tabasco) and some diced fresh Jalapeno. There is enough left over for me to have for lunch at least twice. We were out of tortilla chips, so we served it over Fritos.

Mt. Man Rendezvous season starts in a month or so up here, so I'm making up a Taco Soup kit for the first one. Instead of canned diced chilis, I'm going to put in a freshly diced Poblano and serve freshly diced Jalapenos for folks to add as they wish.

The Ranch Dressing mix is sheer genius.

Thank you.

Gerry N.

Flintlock Tom said...

I discovered Rotel while at the University of Oklahoma, but I can't, for the life of me, find it here in California.
I'll order on-line and get a case.

Old NFO said...

Nice, and since I'm heading to the store, sounds like dinner for me too! :-)