Sunday, December 20, 2009

On the bench

I just finished working up some loads for the .308 Handi. I've got a bunch of .308 hollow point bullets that I've weighed and sorted to the 1/10th grain and a pound of Reloder 15 powder. I used R-P once fired cases and WLR primers.



That rifle's got a 22 inch barrel and an overall length of 37 inches. If I can find something it shoots well, it should be a good knocking-around rifle.

All the research I've done tells me that the Army specifies Reloder 15 powder for their M118LR ammunition. I've got one load with this powder that shoots really well in Joey's Savage M10FLP, well under MOA out to 250 yards. Lots of shooters use this load at ranges under 500 yards, with powder charges varying a grain or so from 43.0 grains. So, I started at 42.0 grains and worked up five cartridges each in half-grain increments to 44.0 grains.

Then, I took out some 125 grain Sierra Pro-Hunters and loaded five each at different powder weights, well under max loads. It should be interesting to see how they shoot.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

That will be interesting...