Monday, December 21, 2009

Cloture

I see that Harry Reid got his cloture vote this morning. Sixty senators voted (if I've got this right) to end the debate on health-care and let the bill move forward. They did it at 1:00 a.m., which is certainly not standard on the schedule, but Harry needed movement on the bill.

I find it interesting that they conducted the vote in the dead of night. Most of the nation awoke to find that the vote was a done-deal. What was so important that they had to do it while most Americans were asleep? Are they ashamed of it? They certainly have reason to be ashamed.

Some states did better than others. Louisiana got extra money, as did Nebraska, along with Florida and New York.

It's interesting to watch the bribery at work. The Congressional Budget office says that the legislation will reduce the deficit by 132 billion dollars over a decade. That's good news. It'll be interesting to see if we actually realize any savings. I'm convinced that those savings are illusory and that they'll spend the money anyway.

There's one thing for darned sure. This went down to a strict party-line vote. For better or for worse, the Democrats own this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am just sick. I wrote to Mary Landrieu and told her that I was angry that Obama thought he could buy Louisiana's vote like a prostitute on Canal...and I guess he did.