Monday, September 07, 2009

Labor Day

Labor Day, a day set aside to commemorate American Labor. I remember Labor Day picnics from my youth. Dad was a union member, a member of the CWA, Communications Workers of America. The union held a big picnic every Labor Day and we'd attend. Lots of folks would attend. There would be barbeque and dirty rice and salads and beans and big thick slices of garlic bread. It was a great party.

Those were the salad days for American unions. Not so much these days. Still, school is out of session today, so I'm off. And, it's a tradition to fire up the barbeque pit on Labor Day, so in a couple of hours I'll light the fire. Milady and I started plans to have a couple of friends over and cook some chickens. Those plans swelled, as they're apt to do, and I figure we'll have about 20 souls to feed this afternoon. I've got a pork butt in the slow cooker and I'll put several chickens and some sausage on the pit. With beans and 'taters and salad it should be quite festive.

No comments: