Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cleaning

This morning after church I decided to give the Savage 30-06 a good cleaning.

How many patches does it take to clean the barrel of a rifle? It depends how dirty it was before you started. I didn't count, but I'd soak it in Hoppe's, the brush it, then run patches, then repeat, over and over. I finally got three patches in a row to come out clean, so I put it away. For a while, I was getting that green copper color on the patches, so I was getting some jacket fouling. When the last three patches came out clean, I threw away a handful of used patches.

While I was waiting for the Hoppe's to work between scrubbings, I gave the church website a good cleaning. It's been several months since I paid any attention to it, so I went in and took care of basic housekeeping.

3 comments:

Rich Jordan said...

Bet if you run another patch down the bore in a few days you start pulling more fouling out. Used to drive me nuts, ans made me wonder why Outers sold patches in such small packages for so much money ;)

J said...

How long did you let the Hoppes soak between scrubbings? Fifteen minutes works for me.

Rich Jordan said...

Anywhere from several minutes to several days. The only gun I ever got totally clean (where a patch run through the bore days after the last cleaning came out sparkly white) took weeks, brushes, and three different cleaners (properly applied, not mixed). That was a Springfield 1903 from the CMP. I don't do that any more... its way overkill. But it used to drive me nuts to get fouling coming out after thinking it was clean.