Sunday, May 17, 2009

Trigger Squeeze

Morning dawned rainy and dark in Pineville, the temps hovering around 60F. For Louisiana in May, that's like a new ice age. After church and a nap, I decided to take the Ruger Mark II to the range and do a little rimfire pistol work.

A proper rimfire pistol is an indispensable part of any battery. Any good .22LR pistol will suffice, because what the marksman is looking for is a pistol that's cheap to shoot and reasonably accurate. Any of the Smith and Wesson, Colt, High Standard, Browning, Baretta, or Ruger pistols will suffice. Sight alignment and trigger squeeze were the drills for this afternoon. Standing upright, off the bench.

So, I took my pistol, a bulk pack of .22 ammo, and my earmuffs and headed to the range. My pistol is a Ruger Mark II, a standard pistol. Ruger's been making these things since I was a pup and they've made a bunch of them in a variety of barrel weights, grip configurations, and lengths. It's a great little training pistol and I was training today.

Proper stance, grip, breathing, sight alignment, trigger squeeze. Feel the recoil, set up again with the proper stance, grip, breathing, sight alignment, trigger squeese. Then do it all over again, again, again.



The little pistol seems to shoot a little low. It's always shot a little low. I talked to the range officer, who when he's not at the range is a localgunsmith of some repute and wide experience. He tells me that most of the standard pistols Ruger made tend to shoot a little bit low. He believes that they're built with a tall front sight so the individual can file them to suit.

I may file that sight, I may not. I may wait until I've waited too late and let one of the heirs file it.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Nice shootin! And yes, mine shoots low also. And I'll "probably" fix it the same way you will :-)

Flintlock Tom said...

Your target seems to be defective, there. The center portion seems to be missing. ;-)

I have the Ruger mark II, but with the target barrel. It's fun to shoot, easy to maintain and cheap to feed. Everyone should have one, or two.