Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Tractor Runs

I've got a tractor, a little Yanmar YM1600. It's an 18 horse tractor, sometimes considered a grey-market tractor. I've got a four foot shredder mounted and I bought it originally to mow the 10 acres I lived on.



What's a grey-market tractor? Well, that's one that originally sold overseas and was imported to the United States as a used tractor. It doesn't have some of the safety features, like ROPS, that are required for sale in the US. I like buying US products when I can and I started the search for a tractor at the John Deere dealership. I was talking to the salesman and we released the bonnet over the engine. I looked at the data tag and on that green John Deere, the tag said "built by Yanmar". I thanked the guy, lowered the bonnet and went down to a used tractor dealer who sold me the 1600.

It's got a two cylinder diesel engine and it's fairly bullet-proof. The problem started this past winter when I realized that the little tractor hadn't been started in almost two years. I got the key and it wouldn't fire off. Since then, I've been piddling with it, replaced all the filters, fixed some wiring problems and cleaned it up. This morning I took off the fuel tank, emptied the old diesel, purged the fuel system and installed a new battery. It fired right off.

I don't know that I really need a tractor in suburbia, but I'm loathe to get rid of it. There's so much you can do if you have your own tractor, and mine is paid for. If I buy a small box blade I'd be able to move dirt around. What I really ought to do is find someone willing to put a small front-end loader on it.

Everybody needs to have their own tractor.

3 comments:

Hobie said...

My grandfather kept his Massey Ferguson and used it to plow snow (in Cooperstown, NY) and drag his ice shack back and forth from the lake. I don't think his rented backyard was as big as your pool but he shared a driveway with his landlord (a life-time friend).

Yep, everybody needs a tractor.

Old NFO said...

Ford 8N, they run forever, and you can STILL get parts for a 1947 one... :-)

Anonymous said...

I've got a 1950 Case VAI with an original front end loader. Gas tank tank leaks a little. I don't use it much anymore because you have to pour gas in it and then drain it when your are done.

"Tallpine"