Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thursday Shooting

This morning after beginning the foundation to the deck, I took an hour off and went to the range to try the mil-spec bullets. I was using IMR 4895 powder and Winchester primers. I started the loads at 48 grains and went up one grain to the max load at 51 grains.

It has been my experience that the maximum load is seldom the most accurate. This morning was no different. I set up a target on the 100 yard line and settled in at the bench.

The first target, using 48 grains of powder was disheartening. Five shots fell into about five inches. Likewise the 49 grain load, although it was a bit smaller, at four inches.

The 50 grain load shows promise. It fell into a little over 2.5 inches with three shots nearly touching.



The last load, at 51 grains, went back to the 4" group.

This shows the benefits of working up your loads. There's something right with that 50 grain load, but I'm not sure if I'm there yet. I'll have to do some more work, by backing down to 49.6 grains, and going up in 2/10ths increments, to 49.8, 50.0, 50.2, 50.4, and see how each of those shoot. I'm hoping that one of those loads will show me something wonderful.

Hope springs eternal in the shooter's heart.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

At least it's productive :-) AND you get a good load that works for the gun!