Saturday, December 27, 2008

Wind Advisory

While we were at the range this morning, the wind was terrible. Blowing strongly enough from the Southwest that partially full ammo boxes were blowing off the shooting benches. The gusts had to be at least 35 mph or better, crossing from right to left. I saw a padlock get blown off a table. The wind was stiff.

Then I get home and find this advisory from the National Weather Service:
... Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 6 PM CST this afternoon...

The National Weather Service in Lake Charles has issued a lake Wind Advisory... which is in effect until 6 PM CST this afternoon.

Winds will be south at 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph this afternoon. Winds will decrease to 10 to 15 mph after sunset tonight.
I'll say.

I had the little .17 HMR in the truck, but I never took it out of the cab. Shooting a 17 grain bullet into a 35 mph crossing wind, I doubt I could have kept the hits on the berm, much less on a target.

I'm going back to the range tomorrow afternoon, alone. I'll take the .17 and the .25-06. Hopefully the wind will cooperate.

No comments: