Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving

As soon as I finish this post, I'm going to turn off the computer and get busy. We've got about thirty people descending on us for dinner and I've got a lot to do. We began this tradition several years ago, when we decided that Momma had enough to do to prepare the main meal for Thanksgiving and that we'd do the evening meal on Wednesday so that she and my sisters could concentrate on the main meal on Thursday. I have food to prep and tables to set up and sweeping and mopping to complete.

The menu for a Louisiana Wednesday night feast?
Crawfish etouffee over rice
Crab cakes
Tossed salad
Garlic french bread
Stuffed bread for those who don't like seafood. This is a rolled bread my wife makes. It's a stuffed bread with the center full of sausage and spices. It's darned good.
Lots of iced tea
Assorted cakes for dessert

I'd like to take a moment and wish everyone a wonderfully peaceful Thanksgiving. This is a uniquely American holiday and one where we should take just a minute to remember those who have come before and those who are standing on the thin front line.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Same to you and yours... you don't by chance have carry out do ya? Or do you deliver??? SIGH...

Rivrdog said...

I'm thankful that you carry on traditional cooking in your family, PawPaw.

Is that recipe for stuffed bread similar to that of Breton, France, by any chance? I've eaten such delicacies all over Europe, but found that the Bretons made it best, followed closely by the Low Countries.