Thursday, July 05, 2007

Haircuts.

I get mine free. I sit on a stool in the carport and my wife or daughter cuts my hair. Sometime the grandkids are around and we get them on the stool too. Three cuts for the price of one.

John Edwards, on the other hand, pays for his haircuts.
For four decades, Joseph Torrenueva has cut the hair of Hollywood celebrities, from Marlon Brando to Bob Barker, so when a friend told him in 2003 that a presidential candidate needed grooming advice, he agreed to help. The Beverly Hills hairstylist, a Democrat, said he hit it off with then-Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina at a meeting in Los Angeles that brought several fashion experts together to advise the candidate on his appearance. Since then, Torrenueva has cut Edwards's hair at least 16 times.
Torrennueva has cut Edwards hair at least 16 times. Well, okay. The guy wants a good style. He's got to look good in front of television cameras. I guess he can get a pass on having a professional cut his hair.
At first, the haircuts were free. But because Torrenueva often had to fly somewhere on the campaign trail to meet his client, he began charging $300 to $500 for each cut, plus the cost of airfare and hotels when he had to travel outside California.
Wait a minute. John Edwards, the senator from North Carolina, the hero of the downtrodden, the protector of New Orleans, the guy who says on his website that he wants to eliminate poverty. Well, he certainly is doing his part by paying for haircuts.
Torrenueva said one haircut during the 2004 presidential race cost $1,250 because he traveled to Atlanta and lost two days of work.
$1250.00 for one haircut? Whoa. That would feed a family of four for at least two months. He's eliminating poverty all right! Question is: Do we want to put this guy in charge of the Federal Budget?

$1250 for a haircut is extravagant. Flying a barber from California to Atlanta is decadent. John Edwards is so concerned about his appearance that he flies a barber from Californa to Atlanta. That is vanity run amok.

John Edwards. Vain, decadent, extravagant. That's just his haircuts. Champion of the poor. Can anyone here say hypocrite?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I disagree. I would not want anyone telling me how I can spend my money, no matter how vain, decadent or extravagant it may be.
There is plenty to despise Edwards for without digging that far down in the barrel.
However, as a measure of his character and hypocrisy, it speaks volumes. And I suspect that is why you pointed it out.

Pawpaw said...

Good point, Tom, and maybe I didn't make myself clear on that point. If Edwards were a private citizen, I wouldn't care how much he paid for a haircut.

I personally, for example, don't give a whit what Bill Gates or any other private millionaire does with his money. He earned it, let him keep it. Or spend it. I care not.

Edwards is not a private person. He is a public entity who wants us to think he would be a good steward of the public purse.

We all know what a haircut costs.

Anonymous said...

Edwards keeps preaching to us about 2 Americas, but obviously he's not living in the same America as me.

$1,250 is one and a half months of house note payments.

Anonymous said...

You get your wife to cut your hair? Such decadance! - I cut my own with a pair of clippers..