Thursday, February 08, 2007

On Oaths

Ehren Watada took an oath. The same oath I took. That oath, sworn by every officer to wear the uniform states:
I, (Full Name) having been appointed a (Rank) in the United States Air Force, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter, SO HELP ME GOD
Now, he seeks to abrogate that oath.

Arrogant son of a bitch. He promised at commissioning that he had no mental reservation and that he took the oath freely.

I was taught, way back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, that an officer's word was his bond and that the full trust and faith of the soldiers appointed under him relied on that word. That for an officer to betray the trust of his soldiers was an unforgiveable sin. That for an officer to betray his oath was unthinkable. It was simply not done. Not among gentlemen. And that an officer was a gentleman by the Grace of God and Act of Congress.

I personally would rather die than violate that oath. I have only sworn three oaths in my life and I base my conduct and actions on those solemn words.

Ehren Watada missed movement in violation of his oath. He allowed his soldiers to move into harms way without him. He is despicable.

I will speak no more of this.

No comments: