Saturday, September 23, 2006

Trenching

I went down to Grand Rental Station this morning and rented a trencher. This thing is a heavy piece of equipment you walk behind. It cuts a four-inch trench in the ground. This morning I picked it up at 7:45, drove back to the house, did the trenching and was back at the store to turn it in before 9:00.



Then, all that was left to do was install the wire in the conduit and backfill the hole. The National Weather Service is predicting rain this afternoon and I wanted to get the hole filled before the rain begins. The picture above is eldest son assisting me with backfilling. I started at one end, he started at the other. We were completely done by 11:00.

Then I went over to son's house to help troubleshoot a telephone connection problem. The problem was the cheap phone he had hooked to the jack. That's done, and I'm back at home for 2:00.

It's time for a nap.

4 comments:

Rivrdog said...

Nap? NAP? How can you nap on an NFL Sunday? With NASCAR for relief if the game gets too boring (both Seahawks-Giants and Denver-New England were).

Rivrdog said...

BTW, you've been promoted to Gunblogger Emeritus, by order of Spank That Donkey blog, the current publisher of the Carnival of Cordite.

This means that you will have to buy an air ticket and report to Reno, NV next week for the Gunblogger Rendezvous, where you will probably hold the Chair of Reloading. Assistant Chair at a minimum.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I don't believe I have ever heard of a "Home Improvement" project going better than anticipated.
If it was my project I would have:
A. Broken the trencher
B. Dug up a rusted water pipe
C. Ruptured barrels of buried toxic waste
D. Got my hand caught in the gearbox
E. All of the above

...and taken a week to do it.

Anonymous said...

Does look like you buried the wire in conduit a minimum of 18" per code.

This is to keep people from accidentally hitting the line later.

Water can be installed higher. But the code is meant to keep the more dangerous stuff further down in the ground.