Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Project house

It's been over a week since I did anything on the project house. We were busy with jobs and hospitals and recuperation. Today I stained the floor of the room. It's an acid stain, applied with a garden sprayer.

First, a good sweeping, then mop with a wet mop. After the concrete floor is dry, mix the stain in a garden spayer, 50-50 with water. Then spray it on the floor. It goes quickly. Very quickly. I'm waiting for the first coat to dry, then I'll put down another coat before it's too dark to see.

We're using Kemiko stain, in Malay Tan. It should give us a non-skid floor, which is especially important since this project will be a pool house.

Once the floor is stained, it will be time for running electricity, water, and putting up drywall. I still have to install a door and window.

I thought that putting down the floor this early in the process might be premature, but professionals tell me that the sooner you get the stain applied, the less chance you run with having something else stain the concrete. And because the acid is applied with a sprayer, applying it before you install drywall minimizes the chances of the stain damaging the wallboard. That makes sense to me.

The project is moving along, slowly but surely.

No comments: