Monday, August 14, 2006

Hizbollah Wins!

I said a few weeks ago that the only thing Hizbollah had to do to win was to survive. It appears they have done so.
Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah declared that his guerrillas achieved a "strategic, historic victory" over Israel.
I'm afraid he is right. Of course, it will be interesting to see if he leads any victory parades.

All this started happening while I was out of town at a funeral. What were you people thinking?

I am amazed that there is a cease-fire that doesn't include the dissolution of Hizbollah. Lebanon rolled over and allowed Hezbollah to keep their weapons. It looks more and more like the Lebanese government is the government without legitimacy and that Hezbollah is really running the show. That seems strange to me. I'm told that the French will be the main force in the UN contingent in south Lebanon. The French Foreign Legion has a lot of experience operations in the Mid East.

And August 22nd is fast approaching. That date has become significant among we who notice such things. I'm told it is significant in the Middle East as well. The next few weeks should be truly instructive regarding the chances for peace in the Middle East and I'm going to keep a close eye on it. I give it a chance somewhere between slim and none, but I'm willing to be wrong about that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

>I give it [peace] a chance somewhere between slim and none, but I'm willing to be wrong about that.

You are 100% right. Nothing less than 100% destrction of one side or the other will bring peace to the Middle east and to us.

Anonymous said...

Wait, doesn't Israel gain a buffer zone out of this? The radio keeps telling me how the Israeli army is fighting to gain strategic territory to add to the buffer zone. I know the UN is next to useless, but if they can keep Hezbollah from launching rockets across the border, I think that's worth something.