Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Unarmed self defense

Today I was thrown to the ground, handcuffed, hit, kicked and night-sticked. Then, I did all the same to my brothers. All in the spirit of training. Once again, I am qualified on the handcuffs, the straight baton and pepper spray. I successfully passed (for about the 20th time) the written portion of the test and demonstrated proficiency under the Monadnock system.

Tomorrow is active shooter scenarios. To translate that into laymans terms, we are going to be clearing buildings while bad guys with paintball guns try to shoot us. I hate this part of training, because paintballs are messy and they hurt. I'll be bruised tomorrow afternoon.

Every profession has routine, systematic training designed to insure a certain level of proficiency and to assure that professional development is accomplished. We are going through that pony show this week. Much of it is theoretical. Much of it is unnecessary and much of it is routinely forgotten. However, our training office records our successful participation.

I'm given to understand that Thursday will be defensive (offensive?) driving. That ought to be fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to bring your small plastic pocket mirror for checkin' around those corners.