Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Slow News Day

Not much going on around here today. Milady and I are going to Jena to see her mother, and Milady is cooking a crawfish fettucini. Her sisters will be there so we'll get to see them too. Her brother-in-law will be there too, and hopefully he and I can slip off and look at a deer lease I recently joined near Jena.


Someone asked in comments if New Orleans wouldn't be better off building on stilts like they do in other places. I haven't studied this idea and have no idea, but there are a bunch of hurdles to jump in that idea. The idea of handicap ramps would be the first hurdle I would see. There would be a hell of a lot of ramps to construct. This sounds like a bad idea on its face, but Americans have overcome greater obstacles, and the Corps flood maps are recommending that a lot of people are build at least three feet above ground.

However, I have been studying PEX piping for my backyard project. It appears that we can run PEX undergound and through slabs, as long as we sleeve it when it penetrates the slab. This is the latest in home improvement plumbing and has been in use in Europe for a long time (25 years), so maybe something is easier to work than PVC pipe. I may not need a plumber for this project after all. If any reader has experience with PEX, give me a heads-up.

No comments: