Thursday, June 22, 2006

Motorcycle Surgery

A Goldwing is a wired motorcycle. There are bundles and sensors and relays and connectors everywhere. My scooter was having problems with lighting and applying the brakes would kill the engine. It was a conundrum. Nothing made sense. It seemed as if multiple circuits were interacting in some weird way and conspiring to make my life a living hell, and to make my motorcycle a large paperweight.

Then, someone told me that the best Goldwing techs in the world reside at a place called JBJ cycles. I found the website and sent off an email, cold, with no hope of a solution. This morning I got a reply from Jack Wear, who told me that one culprit could be the bank angle sensor. That sensor measures the lean angle of the bike, and when the lean angle surpasses some preset limit, it kills the power to the bike.

I started testing that sensor today. In testing it, I noticed that the main connector to the back of the bike was dirty. Really dirty. Every circuit that goes to the back of the bike passes through that connector, under the seat. I pulled it apart and noticed some crud inside. I cleaned it thoroughly, got the crud out, and squirted a little dialectric grease inside to prevent corrosion. Then I put the key in the ignition and started the bike. Everything works. Tail lights, brake lights, hazard flashers, and the engine continues to run when the brakes are applied.

Success! I just now got everything buckled back together and took a short test drive. It's working. Thanks to everyone who provided input, and thanks to Jack Wear, for reminding me that the main thing to go wrong on a Goldwing are fuses, relays and connectors.

I'm still amazed at the internet. A motorcycle tech in Santa Ana, CA can help a Goldwing hobbiest in Pineville LA in just a matter of hours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was working on airplanes in the Navy we had periodic inspections of all the electrical/electronic connectors in the aircraft, where we cleaned them and gave them a squirt of a preservative.

I think the interval for doing all of the connectors in the aircraft was every 28 days. Some were every 7 days, others were every 14 days. But the 28 day inspections would usually take a couple of dayd to complete.

Afterwards fixing all gripes caused by not putting all the connectors back the right way might take several days...

Anonymous said...

Glad you got the Goldwing running. I can hardly wait for next Thursday, when my hitch will be over. Loewer Powersports called my wife and told her that the lower fairing piece for my ZR-7S arrived. Installing the piece and buffing out a few minor scuffs in the paint will bring the bike up to near new condition.
Come on Thursday..........

Ride Fast said...

Lean detector? To kill the engine if the bike leans to far or falls over on it's side?

Man, does that sound Hondaesk.

I think I'd make that switch go away.