Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christmas Week

Light posting this week, and I apologize to my four-dozen readers. It is the week before Christmas, and I have been completely engaged. Cooking, entertaining, family-ing, and doing all manner of things that Pawpaws do before Christmas.

Today, for example, is Milady's office party and I am on the hook for two briskets, trimmed, sliced, and ready to go by 5:00 pm They have been on a low fire since 10:00 pm last night and are smelling mighty good. I've got to wash a sheet of plywood (half-sheet, actually) to slice them on.

You do not want to slice brisket in the kitchen. when a brisket is properly done, the fat cap melts and tenderizes the meat. When sliced, that liquid fat runs down across the counter and on to the floor. In just a matter of minutes, you can't stand up at the counter. It is easier to hose things down outside than to clean Milady's kitchen.

I've got a couple of errands to run, then the slicing begins. Wish me luck.

I hope all of you are having as much fun as I am this week, and I wish all of you a very merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Walter Jeffries said...

Ah, brisket, perhaps my favorite meat, certainly my favorite portion of bovine. Proper cattle would be 60% brisket. :) I slice ours at the table and have horseradish relish on it. No thirds as we save the rest for sandwiches for the next day.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours PawPaw. Ive really enjoyed your blog.

EricN