Saturday, October 15, 2005

Honey-do list

Sitting here at the computer, Saturday morning, looking at the Honey-do list.

Milady worked last night from 6p to 6a, and she will sleep until later this afternoon. So, no power tools until later this afternoon. I've told the family to keep the kids away till later in the day so Milady can sleep. However, the icemaker in our ten-year-old fridge is starting to leak. That resulting drip causes a huge lump of ice to form in the bin, and clogs up the works, requiring a daily clearing. I've got all the numbers in my notebook, and I need to make the rounds of the places that sell such things and see if I can buy a replacement icemaker.

And no, I dont want to fix the one I have. The thing is made of plastic, and thousands of cycles over a ten year period has cracked it. It's broke and will continue to break. Time for a new one.

I may stop at the lumber yard and price lumber to put a floor on a trailer I obtained last week. My second son is taking a welding course and they made a trailer at school. It is a flatbed utility trailer, sixteen feet long, seven feet wide, with double axles. I have been wanting one of these for a long time. He called me week-before-last and asked if I wanted it. It was for sale to students, to recoup the cost of materials. I asked him how much and he said $250.00. I told him to lock it on the back of his truck and I'd send a check, which went out last week. He delivered it last Sunday and it is a beaut. It is medium duty, with short sidewalls, strong enough to haul a car or small tractor.

I don't need one of these things but once a year or so, but when I need one, I have had to borrow one. That is over now. It has lights, and could use new tires, but trailers I have seen comparable to this one cost about $700 on the used market and $1000 brand new. I am on the hook for putting a bed in it, (It's a welding course, dad, not a carpentry course... We don't do lumber.) and getting it licensed. Still, after the cost of the flooring and getting it licensed, I am into a new trailer at about half-price. Not a bad deal. Not bad at all.

No comments: