Sunday, August 14, 2005

Sunday afternoon

Funny how things work through my brain. I had a sure-fire subject for blogging a couple of days ago but couldn't get to a computer. This afternoon, I have an hour or so to play here, and I can't for the life of me remember what I wanted to blog about.

Not that it matters much, because this blog is something I do on the spur of the moment. If it is serious writing, I say it over at The Frugal Outdoorsman. I've been writing a long time, in the tradition of Gene Hill. Mainly first-person essays that look on the simple things in life, things like campfires and woodsmoke, mortality and global warming. Transient stuff that requires thought. Some of my better stuff can be found in the Woodsmoke section of The Frugal Outdoorsman. Go over there and give it a look.

Blogging is different from e-zine writing. Different from newspaper writing, different from novel writing. Now, I've done all four. They each have similarities, but blogging and newspaper topics are extremely perishable. When a story is breaking, better to have three lines today rather than 50 lines tomorrow. Both blogging and newspaper writing are easily correctable, and the better bloggers post corrections as soon as they are convinced they are in error. The big difference, as I see it, is that I have certain pre-dispositions toward various stories, and this is my blog. I make the rules, I live with the results. Newspapers have to answer to their public, and many of them are Offical Journals of various governing bodies. They have to bow, at least symbolicly, to fairness and balance in the way they cover a particular issue. I don't. I try to be fair, but I have no compelling ethical standard that keeps me honest. I am a blogger. The only ethics in these writings are the ones I bring with me.

Click over to Woodsmoke, and read some of my stuff. Then come back and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Kelly(Mom of 6) said...

Wow! You really know how to paint a complete picture with your words.

Pawpaw said...

Thank you, ma'am.